Advice and Red Flags
I travel all of Georgia talking to claims victims and each family has a story to tell regarding their loss. When anyone spends this much time discussing the claims process you can’t help but notice patterns forming as to how insurance companies settle their claims. I have found myself trying to educate people as to why they should not hire anyone, especially a restoration company to do all the work. I have nothing against any of these company’s but you need to understand something very important. If you hire a restoration company, most all of the money from your policy will go to them, instead of you.
This has been going on for years. We believe that since you bought the policy, you should receive the settlement. In short, we advise everyone to settle the claim first. Only after you settle the claim should you proceed with interviewing different contractors.
Top 10 things to do after a loss:
- Do not hire anyone until your claim has settled. This means all restoration companies.
- Do not hire anyone to clean your clothes or any hard items like furniture.
- Use a notepad and take notes and keep everyone away from your property.
- Protect your property from further damage. Tarp any holes in the roof and board up broken windows.
- Never throw anything away. Again, Never throw anything away.
- Get educated: Google Anderson Cooper/Allstate and watch the video. This will help to explain what you’re up against.
- Slow down, don’t get in a rush. There is no reason to hurry up and run out of money.
- If you do not have a copy of your policy, request one from the adjuster. Do not be surprised if you never receive a copy.
- After you have removed all important documents and any jewelry, leave everything else inside the home and lock it up. It’s this simple.
- The People’s Adjuster knows how you feel and we are here to help. Dial 770-846-3570.